From Black Water Swamps to White Sandy Beaches

From Black Water Swamps to White Sandy Beaches

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Moore Haven RV Resort/Marina to Indian Prairie Campsite---February 22nd

This morning the camp and marina were blanketed in fog, which didn't burn off until 9:30. I had some errands to run in town, picking up a package containing my levagaiters at the post office then doing a bit more resupply at U Save, so I didn't get back on the trail until 10:30.
I was simply pushing it all day trying to get to camp. Long stretches of dike with views and landscape similar to those of the last two days and a bit of time walking on a bike/pedestrian path next to SR 78. With the sun beating down on my head all day, I can't wait to be on a path among trees again.
So far the weather pattern in South Florida goes something like this: In the early morning there is mist, which burns off as the sun rises revealing a clear and cloudless sky. Soon, the first clouds start to form, building up throughout the day, but none threatening rain. They drift across the heavens pushed by a gentle breeze or light wind. Towards evening or in the early hours of night as it cools down, things clear up, the entire process repeating itself the next day.
The sun lay low in the west as I entered camp. I managed to set up my tent beneath the palm fronds and crawl inside before the mosquitoes got too bad. When night fell, the crickets started putting out a good volume of noise. I fell asleep while listening to their distinctive chirping.


Indian Prairie Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment